Profile of Chief Minister Manipur
- Name: Nongthombam Biren Singh
- Date of Birth: 1st January, 1961
- Former footballer got recruited in the Border Security Force (BSF) playing for its team in domestic competitions. Resigned from the BSF and turned to journalism.
- Despite having had no formal training and experience, began publishing the vernacular daily Naharolgi Thoudang in 1992 and worked as the editor till 2001.
- Political Career:
- Elected to the Manipur Legislative Assembly in the year 2002, as a Democratic Revolutionary Peoples Party (DRPP) candidate from Heingang Assembly Constituency.
- Joined the Indian National Congress (INC) in the year 2003.
- Appointed Minister of State (Vigilance) and Forest & Environment Minister (Ind. Charge) in the Manipur State Government in May 2003. Also held the position of Chairman, Manipur Pollution Control Board
- Retained his Assembly seat in 2007, contesting on behalf of the Indian National Congress. Later, appointed as the Minister of Irrigation & Flood Control, Youth Affairs & Sports as well as Consumer Affairs & Public Distribution
- In 2012, retained his Assembly seat for the third consecutive term.
- Resigned from the Manipur Legislative Assembly and the Manipur Pradesh Congress Committee in October 2016.
- Joined the BJP on 17th October 2016 and later became the Spokesperson and Co-convener of the Election Management Committee of BJP Manipur Pradesh.
- Won the 2017 Manipur Legislative Assembly Election from Heingang Assembly Constituency for the record 4th time.
- Elected as the leader of the BJP Legislatures Party in Manipur in March 2017 and sworn in as Chief Minister of Manipur on 15th March 2017.